A truck accident often results in serious personal injuries and subsequent financial damages to its victims. While it’s possible to recover compensation for those damages, trucking accident cases are complex, often involving multiple parties and difficult issues of liability.
An experienced and knowledgeable truck accident lawyer can make all the difference in the outcome of your truck accident case, but how can you make sure you’re choosing the right lawyer for your claim?
What to Consider When Choosing a Truck Accident Lawyer
In considering how to choose a truck accident lawyer, there are several things you should pay attention to:
- The lawyer’s expertise, experience, and knowledge. Be sure you choose a lawyer with significant experience in personal injury law, and in particular handling the types of truck accident cases as yours. Question the attorney’s prior experience working on similar cases, as well as their knowledge and comfort with this area of the law and the legal process involved.
- Your compatibility with the lawyer and the connection you feel to them. It is extremely important that you feel comfortable with your attorney — look for someone who makes you feel valued and understood. It is also important that you set reasonable expectations about working together: for example, by discussing the frequency and means of your communication, as well as mutually understanding how your lawyer will update you about important aspects of your case. For a successful resolution, you and your attorney will need to work together closely, so it is important that you feel professionally compatible.
- Reviews, references, and comments from former clients. Your lawyer’s reputation is everything, and you’ll want to make sure you choose someone with positive reviews and references. Review testimonials about the lawyer’s work, and ask what former clients—particularly those whose case was similar to yours—say about their experiences in working with the lawyer. Also, you should check whether any disciplinary proceedings have ever been instituted against the lawyer, which you can typically find on the website of the relevant state bar association(s).
- The lawyer’s fees. From the beginning, you should have a clear understanding of the attorney’s fees and other costs for which you will be responsible. You should consider whether the lawyer is charging you hourly, based on a flat fee, or as a contingency fee, which means you won’t need to pay anything until your claims are successful. You should also consider whether any upfront fees or retainers are needed in order for the lawyer to begin work on your case.
What Can a Truck Accident Lawyer Do for You?
If you’re filing a truck accident claim in order to recover compensation for your injuries, it is not a good idea to go it alone. Truck accident cases almost always involve several complex areas of law, particularly when it comes to liability and proving damages. They can also involve multiple parties and insurance companies, which can complicate matters more. An experienced and knowledgeable lawyer can help you with many tasks, including:
- Investigating the facts of your case and establishing the timeline of events
- Preserving important evidence to help prove your claims, including reports and documentation
- Interviewing witnesses and other key people who can help
- Communicating with the other parties, their insurers, the authorities, and other key players in the case
- Researching the legal and factual issues involved, and applying the law to the unique facts involved in your claim
- Assessing the full value of your damages and collecting supporting documents and information
- Advising you about your legal rights and potential options
- Negotiating with the insurance company toward a fair and reasonable settlement offer
- Filing your claims in the appropriate court, being familiar with both the court’s procedures and the substantive law of negligence
- Following the proper rules of procedure and court, including adhering to the relevant deadlines and statutes of limitations
- Presenting a strong case on your behalf in front of the jury or judge
Why Choose The Francis Firm for Your Truck Accident Claim?
Our experienced personal injury lawyers will inform you of your legal rights and options after a trucking accident, and we will work with you to make sure you receive the medical care you need. The goal of our firm is to focus on your claims so that you can focus on getting better and piecing your life together after a tough truck accident.
Michael Francis has a reputation for successfully negotiating with even the toughest insurance companies toward a favorable resolution. If the insurance company won't offer a reasonable settlement, our trial-tested Texas personal injury lawyers are always ready to take them to court. Please reach out to us today for a free, no-obligation initial legal consultation online or by calling 817-617-8639. Our office in are located in Southlake, and we serve communities throughout the Dallas/Fort Worth area, Tarrant County and Dallas County, and other communities in Texas.