If you’ve suffered a personal injury, such as a car accident that left you needing medical treatment, you can recover your damages from the party that caused them. But going it alone is not advised: personal injury cases can be lengthy, difficult, and complex. A knowledgeable and experienced personal injury lawyer can add great value to your case. Read on for more information about what to expect from a personal injury lawyer.
What Does a Personal Injury Lawyer Do?
Personal injury law is broad, and it encompasses many different areas: traffic accidents, workplace injuries, malpractice cases, premises liability, and product liability are just some examples. Busy personal injury lawyers work on cases on behalf of their clients, performing many different tasks. For example:
- They investigate the facts of your case, interview key witnesses, and help you gain a more complete picture of the accident that led to your injuries
- They research the law that is pertinent to your claims, as well as any defenses that can be anticipated from the other side
- They prepare key documents in your case, such as the complaint you file to begin your lawsuit, along with any petitions or motions
- They draft responses to the other party’s pleadings and motions against you
- They offer legal advice, discussing with you your rights and options, any potential liability, and the process of recovering for your damages
- They negotiate on your behalf with the other parties and insurance companies involved
- They advocate on their client’s behalf in court, putting together a strong case based on the evidence to present to the jury
A good personal injury lawyer can increase your chances of successfully settling your claim or prevailing in court. They can offer an objective assessment of your case, explaining your rights and options, discussing whether you might incur any liability, and strategizing with you regarding the next steps to take in your case. Personal injury matters can be complicated by both legal and factual issues, and an experienced attorney can help you navigate those complications when they undoubtedly arise.
A personal injury lawyer who is well-versed in valuing claims can also help assess the recovery to which you should be entitled. They can help value your damages fairly and accurately so that you have a better chance of recovering an adequate amount to reimburse you for the injuries you have suffered. According to various studies, parties who are represented by a personal injury lawyer tend to receive larger settlements.
Moreover, an experienced personal injury lawyer can be much more effective at various steps in the process than a layperson on their own. The attorney will be knowledgeable about the personal injury process, aware of deadlines and statutes of limitations, and familiar with the procedures used in court. Their understanding of the court system and the personal injury process can save time and make recovery more efficient.
What Can You Do to Help Your Personal Injury Lawyer?
There are many ways you can help your attorney do the best job they possibly can. Consider the following:
- Keep meticulous records. Save all of the correspondence you send and receive from the opposing party or insurance company, any pictures or video taken at the scene of the accident, and any other documents that pertain to your claim.
- Keep the lines of communication open with your attorney. Whether you have updates about your medical treatment, receive additional bills, or are contacted by the other party or the insurance company, let your attorney know. Also, discuss with your attorney your expectations regarding communications and updates on your case.
- Cooperate with any requests your attorney may have of you. This includes filling out important forms and providing information during the discovery process. Answer your attorney’s questions in a timely and thorough manner.
- Work with your attorney to determine the extent of your damages, so that you can ascertain and request a fair and reasonable amount. Save important documents that will help your attorney establish your damages, such as invoices and bills, wage statements, and journals of the pain, suffering, or limitations you are experiencing.
How Can the Francis Firm Help?
Personal injury claims are about protecting your rights and holding parties responsible when their careless or intentional acts cause you injury and adversely impact your life. An experienced and knowledgeable personal injury attorney can add great value, working with you through the process of establishing liability and recovering for your damages. Call us today to schedule a free and completely confidential personal injury consultation. We will evaluate your case and help you understand your legal options.