The Often Undiagnosed Injury
The causal relationship between motor vehicle collisions and spine or whiplash injuries are well known and accepted.
Unfortunately, even what appears to be a relatively minor collision can cause many less anticipated and often times undiagnosed injuries.
In particular, many people fail to realize the frequency of head injuries resulting from car and truck wrecks. This is true for a multitude of reasons, including:
1. Victims often fail to realize the many ways a head injury can occur in an automobile crash.
Head injuries can often occur solely from whiplash type movements. This is often referred to as a coup contra-coup injury. It is not necessary for your head to come in to contact with an object within the vehicle in order for a head injury to occur.
2. Victims often fail to recognize the severity of their injuries at the time of or immediately after a collision.
individuals involved in collisions often fail to recognize the severity of their injuries at the time of or immediately after a collision, because their symptoms do not fully manifest until a later time.
For instance, in the event of a head injury, including concussion, the symptoms can take hours or sometimes even weeks to develop after a collision.
3. Victims often mistake their post-concussion behavior and symptoms for adrenaline, anxiety, nervousness, or some factor other than a collision-related brain injury.
Knowing the signs of a head injury, such as a concussion, are imperative in order to ensure an injured victim obtains the proper medical treatment after an automobile collision. Ignoring the signs of head trauma can be devastating, because an unresolved concussion injury can eventually become a traumatic brain injury.
Anyone experiencing the following symptoms after a motor vehicle or truck wreck should seek immediate medical attention:
- Brief loss of consciousness
- Ringing in the ears
- Seeing stars
- Sensitivity to light
- Nausea or vomiting
- Dizziness or loss of balance
- Changes in mood or personality
- Difficulty sleeping or disrupted sleeping patterns
Contact an Attorney Today
If you or someone you love has been hurt in an automobile collision, do not wait to contact the trial lawyers at the Francis Firm today. Every day that you delay, evidence could be lost.