A car accident can leave you with significant damages and personal injuries. An experienced Irving car accident lawyer can help you recover a fair and reasonable settlement.
Dealing with a car accident case on your own with out a lawyer is daunting. Not only will you have to navigate important procedures, but most accident victims also don’t have the requisite knowledge of the law involved, including proving liability and damages successfully. Moreover, you will be going up against an insurance company whose aim is to minimize payout, and who likely has significant legal and financial resources at its disposal
What Kinds of Car Accidents Commonly Occur Around Irving?
There are many different types of car accidents that happen in the Irving area every day. For example:
- You may be involved in a pile-up, caused by one or more other drivers who fail to observe the rules of the road
- An accident may be caused by another driver failing to observe the speed limit
- Another driver may fail to yield, stop at a red light, or otherwise drives recklessly, causing a crash
- You may be rear-ended by a driver who fails to stop in time
- Another driver might be distracted, drowsy, or under the influence of alcohol, causing an accident
What Kinds of Damages Can Result?
A car accident can cause serious injuries and damages, including both personal injuries and damage to your personal property. Generally, damages that you may recover in a car accident in Irving, Texas fall into two categories: economic, or out-of-pocket costs, and general damages. In some cases, you may also be able to recover punitive damages from the party responsible for the accident.
Consider the following examples:
- Under economic damages, you can recover for the out-of-pocket costs you have incurred as a result of the car crash. Usually, these are easier to quantify and prove, and they include:
- Medical bills, doctor’s visits, hospital stays, prescription costs, and the costs of medical tests, imaging, and treatment
- The cost of replacing or repairing your vehicle
- Damage to your other personal property
- Lost wages or income you incur as a result of missing work after the accident
- Under general damages, you can recover for your non-economic damages, which are typically harder to quantify. They include:
- Your pain and suffering
- The loss of enjoyment of activities that you are no longer able to do as a result of the accident
- The value of your diminished quality of life
- Loss of consortium damages
- The loss of future wages as a result of being unable to keep working your current job, or any job, after the accident
- In some situations, punitive damages may also be available in a car accident case. Texas has a civil law in place regarding punitive damages in personal injury cases, which details the circumstances under which punitive damages might be available. Generally, this occurs only if the claimant proves by clear and convincing evidence that the harm results from fraud, malice, or gross negligence.
What Should You Do After a Car Accident?
Immediately after you get into a car accident, you should first and foremost pull over to a safe spot and contact the police. Call an ambulance, even if your injuries seem minor—it is common for many injuries not to manifest until much later, and it is always a good idea to get checked out and receive medical care as soon as possible.
While at the scene, take photographs of the site of the crash, along with damage to your personal property, if you are able. Take down contact information for the other party, along with any witnesses at the scene. Call your insurance company to report the accident as soon as you are able.
In the weeks following the accident, continue to seek out the medical care and treatments you need. Contact a trusted and reputable personal injury attorney to discuss your legal rights, options, and potential next steps.
How Do You Know If You Could Benefit From a Car Accident Lawyer?
An experienced and knowledgeable car accident lawyer in Irving, Texas can make a big difference in your case and recovery. First, they can help make sure you receive the medical care you need. They can investigate the facts of your claim and reconstruct the accident. Your lawyers will interview witnesses, assemble important documents, and prepare the pleadings needed to file your claim. They can also help you accurately and properly assess your damages..
When you hire a competent car accident attorney, you aren’t just hiring someone who can argue on your behalf in court; you are also hiring someone who can negotiate on your behalf with the insurance company. Your attorney will work towards a fair and reasonable settlement and resolution. Let a Francis Firm car accident attorney serving Irving, Texas handle the details of your case. Allowing you to focus on the details of getting your life back on track after a traumatic accident.
What Should You Look For in an Irving Car Accident Lawyer?
When hiring an Irving car accident attorney, it is important to look for someone trusted and reputable, so carefully research the attorney and law firm you are considering before you sign on. You will want a lawyer who is knowledgeable about the law and procedures involved but also understanding of the facts of your case. A great personal injury lawyer will give you invaluable legal advice, applying the law to your unique circumstances.
Michael Francis is Board Certified in Personal Injury Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization and has more than twenty-five years of experience litigating cases throughout the State of Texas, against many of the largest corporations and insurance companies. He has secured verdicts and settlements for clients totaling more than $30,000,000.
No matter the nature or severity of your injuries, at the Francis Firm, a Irving car accident lawyer will fight to protect your legal rights. If you or someone you love suffered a personal injury in Irving, reach out to us online or call us at 817-402-8959 today for a free, no-obligation consultation.