The Francis Firm is a Truck Wreck Litigation Firm With a Track Record of Success
At the Francis Firm, our truck wreck attorneys are here to help and ready to fight for you.
If you or someone you love has been injured or killed in a trucking accident, do not risk attempting to handle the claim on your own. For nearly a decade, Michael Francis represented many of the largest trucking companies in the country. For the past 20 years, he has used that knowledge and expertise to represent the victims of trucking accidents throughout the State of Texas. When you hire the Francis Firm for your truck wreck claim, there will never be any legal fees or costs until we recover money for you.
Let Michael Francis and the experienced personal injury attorneys at the Francis Firm help you understand your rights, get the medical care you need and the compensation you deserve.
Why should I contact a Texas trucking accident attorney today?
- Department of Transportation (DOT) rules and regulations require trucking companies and truck drivers retain documents such as logs and vehicle inspections reports, but only for a short period of time. Without an attorney to stop them, these trucking companies and drivers often destroy critical evidence as soon as the law allows.
- Most trucks electronically store data that is accessible by computer download. This data often provides evidence of the driver’s routes and drive time prior to the collision; prior unsafe driving; and the speed and braking data for the truck prior to and at the time of impact. The Francis Firm regularly utilizes trucking experts that can access and preserve this data, but only if you contact us as soon as possible after a collision.
- If you are hurt in a truck accident, you will likely find your PCP either will not treat for motor vehicle cases or lacks the facilities to fully and appropriately evaluate and treat all of your injuries. The Francis Firm can help you locate and receive treatment from qualified medical providers capable of evaluating and treating any injuries caused by a truck wreck, even complex surgeries.
Calls us today! Furthermore, every day you wait to contact an attorney is another day the trucking company spends collecting evidence and using its considerable resources to prepare defenses or minimize your claim.
What Should I Do After a Truck Accident?
If possible and if it can be done safely, move your vehicle to a safe area.
If you cannot, turn on your emergency flashers and wait for the police and emergency personnel to arrive at the scene.
Whether you were a driver, passenger, motorcyclist, bicyclist or pedestrian, you have the right to insist the police come to the scene and investigate your accident. 911 operators and police departments will sometimes attempt to avoid investigating collisions when no party claims injury or requets emergency medical care, but you have the right to insist that your collision be investigated and a police report prepared.
Check everyone's health.
Once everyone is in a safe place and you have called 911, check on the health and status of all of the other involved drivers and passengers if your physical condition allows.
If you are unsure of the degree of your injuries, however, wait in your vehicle until emergency personnel have arrived and assessed your condition.
If possible, always take pictures of all vehicles (including the logo on the door of the truck’s cab), the scene and the truck driver’s license and insurance card.
If you have any concern you suffered injury, allow emergency medical care personnel to examine and take you to the hospital for treatment. At the scene of the collision, adrenaline often masks the existence of pain or injury, including life-threatening conditions such as head injuries, spinal fractures or internal bleeding.
Don't Communicate With the Insurance Company Without a Lawyer
After a truck wreck, you should never speak to the trucking company representative or insurance claims adjuster without first consulting an attorney. These individuals are claims professionals and even if they appear to be nice or sympathetic, their only goal is to defend and minimize your claim.
Even if you did not believe you were injured immediately after a truck wreck, it is common to feel increased levels of pain and physical limitations that night, the following day or even several days later. If you are hurt, many people learn for the first time their PCP either will not treat motor vehicle injuries or will conduct an examination, but will not prescribe active treatment, to minimize the doctor’s risk of becoming involved in a court proceeding. For this reason, it is critical to find medical professionals willing to effectively evaluate and treat all of your injuries. The Francis Firm can help you locate and receive treatment from qualified medical providers capable of evaluating and treating any injuries caused by a truck wreck, even complex surgeries.
Truck Wreck Verdicts & Settlements
$2,250,000 – Wrongful Death Trucking Accident
A young man’s tanker truck caught fire and exploded while working on a job site, causing serious burns that were ultimately fatal. Suit was brought against the site operator and trucking company, resulting in a settlement in the amount of $ 2,250,000. After fees and expenses, the victim’s family recovered $ 1,176,495.
$1,200,000 – Truck Wreck Causes Back Injuries and Surgery
A truck driver changed lanes on Highway 114 in Southlake, without looking, striking an automobile occupied by two sisters on their way to work. The impact caused the sister’ vehicle to spin and be impacted by other vehicles on the highway. Suit was brought against the trucking company and driver, resulting in a settlement in the amount of $1,200,000. After fees, expenses and the repayment of medical liens and bills, our clients recovered $500,581.76.
$1,050,000 – Truck Wreck Causes Back and Head Injury
A man driving a commercial tanker truck without the required CDL license struck a vehicle occupied by a husband and wife stopped on I-35 due to heavy traffic. Our firm was able to obtain a settlement for our clients for in the insurance policy limits of the trucking company and our clients’ underinsured motorist limits in the amount of $1,050,000. The claims against the trucking company were settled in less than seventy-five days from the date of the collision. After fees, expenses and the repayment of medical liens and bills, our clients recovered $512,722.85.
Truck Collisions in Texas
Commercial trucks are vital to the Texas economy. Unfortunately, there has been an increase in large truck injury collisions and fatalities over recent years. These accidents involving passenger vehicles, pedestrians, bicyclists and motorcyclists often cause serious or even fatal injuries. For example, in 2016 there were 4,440 fatality accidents in the United States and nearly 1,000 fatal crashes in Texas involving trucks and buses. That same year, trucks were involved in approximately 119,000 injury collisions. With commercial trucks weighing 80,000 pounds or more, the devastating consequences of trucking collisions come as no surprise.
What Are the Most Frequent Factors that Contribute to truck accidents in Texas?
When an 18 wheeler, semi, bus or other large truck is involved in a collision, there may be many contributing factors. Some of the most common causes of truck wrecks in Texas are:
- Driver Fatigue. Although state and federal laws limit the number of hours someone may drive a commercial vehicle each day and week to ensure truck drivers obtain a safe amount of rest, unscrupulous trucking companies sometimes pressure drivers to continue driving even when fatigued or exhausted. Driver fatigue leads to poor decision-making and slower response times, which is a major cause of truck accidents in Texas.
- Excessive Speed. Truck drivers are often required to drive at a slower speed than passenger vehicles. Additionally, trucks take much longer to stop or turn than an automobile. When truck drivers fail to abide by posted speed limits or drive too fast for road conditions, significant and sometimes fatal collisions occur.
- Equipment Failure/ Negligent Maintenance. State and Federal laws require that all commercial vehicles be inspected and maintained in a manner intended to ensure the safety of other drivers on our public roads. Unfortunately, to save money, trucking companies and drivers often cut corners, driving trucks with unsafe brakes, tires, and other poorly maintained equipment. As a result, equipment failures are all too often a major contributing factor in truck crashes. The Francis Firm can investigate whether DOT safety rules and regulations were violated in your accident and hold unsafe trucking companies and drivers responsible.
- Overweight Loads. State and federal regulations require commercial trucking companies to adhere to specified load sizes. When a truck is carrying too much weight, braking distance and vehicle handling can be severely affected and this can lead to collisions resulting in serious injury or death.
- Drug or Alcohol Use. Commercial truck drivers and their employers are required by federal law to follow strict alcohol and drug testing rules and regulations. Nevertheless, drug and alcohol abuse among truck drivers remains a major problem and is often a contributing factor in serious truck accidents. You need a lawyer that knows these rules and the testing requirements and procedures.
- Aggressive Driving. Anyone who has driven on Texas highways has witnessed aggressive driving. When a commercial truck driver engages in aggressive or reckless driving, the results can be catastrophic.
Contact Us Today
Michael Francis and the trial lawyers at the Francis Firm have decades of experience litigating cases involving trucks and other commercial motor vehicles.
We will provide the legal expertise and financial resources necessary to fight the trucking companies and pursue justice for you. If you or someone you love has been injured or killed in a trucking collision, let us help.
We offer free personal injury consultations. If you are unable to come to our Southlake office, we will come to you. Let the experienced trial lawyers at the Francis Firm help you understand your rights, get the medical care you need and fight for the compensation you deserve.
Recent Verdicts & Settlements
With over twenty million dollars recovered for clients, you can trust our experience and proven track record to get you the maximum possible recovery.SEE RECENT VERDICTS & SETTLEMENTS
- $2,250,000: Wrongful Death
- $1,970,000: Vehicle Collision
- $1,250,000: Car Accident
- $1,050,000: Truck Collision
- $1,000,000: Truck Accident
- $900,000: Vehicle Collision
- $775,839: Commercial Litigation
- $600,000: Wrongful Death
- $565,000: Vehicle Collision
- $425,000: Product Liability
- $329,000: Commercial Litigation
- $206,545: Premises Liability
- $87,300: Arbitration Verdict