Texas Wrongful Death Lawyers
At the Francis Firm, our Southlake, Texas wrongful death attorneys have the skills and experience needed to handle the full range of wrongful death claims in Texas. If you lost a loved one as a result of the reckless or careless actions of another party, you need professional representation.
You and your family deserve justice and full financial protection. For more than 25 years, our skilled Texas wrongful death lawyers have fought aggressively to protect the rights of grieving families. If you cannot come to our office, our experienced trial lawyers will come to you.
To set up a free, strictly confidential legal consultation, please contact our law office right away.
What is a Wrongful Death Case?
A wrongful death lawsuit is a legal claim filed against a defendant who is liable for a death. Immediate family members of the victim may be able to bring a wrongful death claim in a number of different specific circumstances.
As these are complicated cases, it is essential that you consult with an experienced wrongful death lawyer as soon as possible after a fatal accident. At the Francis Firm, our Texas wrongful death attorneys handle all types of wrongful death claims.
Some notable examples include:
- Car accidents
- Commercial truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Pedestrian collisions
- Aviation accidents
- Workplace injuries
- Explosions and fires
- Premises liability claims
- Dangerous and defective product claims
- Medical malpractice claims
- Nursing home abuse and neglect
- Civil Rights violations
Every wrongful death case is unique, and you should consult with one of our wrongful death lawyers in Southlake for more information about your particular circumstances.
Do I have a Wrongful Death Case?
It is not always easy to know whether or not you have a viable wrongful death case.
If your loved one was killed in an accident, you should call an experienced Texas wrongful death lawyer immediately. Never assume that you do not have legal rights.
Michael Francis will be able to review the specific nature of the claim, explain your options, help you preserve your rights and recover financial compensation.
Notably, wrongful death lawsuits are governed by the Texas wrongful death statute (Texas Statutes § 71.001). To have a wrongful death case in Texas, you must:
- Be the surviving spouse, the child, the parent of the victim, or otherwise eligible to bring a claim under Texas law;
- File your claim before the statute of limitations expires (generally two years from the date of the death); and
- Prove that the defendant is legally responsible for the death.
Many times, however, not all of the responsible parties are clear. This is why a prompt and thorough investigation is so crucial. Furthermore, the longer you wait to hire an attorney to begin your family’s investigation, the harder it will be to make a claim and oftentimes critical evidence is lost.
This investigation can consist of:
- Interviewing witnesses who might have seen the accident that killed your loved one. Witnesses are often crucial to wrongful death cases.
- Visiting the scene of the crash to understand how the incident occurred.
- Hiring accident reconstruction and damage experts to prove your family’s claim.
- Examining your loved one’s medical records to understand the cause of death.
- Helping family members document their losses, which can increase the amount of compensation available in a settlement or jury award.
An attorney also should be able to find the correct court to file a lawsuit so that you do not go beyond the statute of limitations. And if the other side is open to settling, a wrongful death attorney can aggressively negotiate a favorable settlement for surviving family members.
Wrongful Death Verdicts & Settlements
We are a leading wrongful death law firm in Texas with many successful cases under our belt.
No attorney can promise a result, but we believe these results speak to our experience in this area of law:
$2,250,000 – Wrongful Death Trucking Accident
A young man’s tanker truck caught fire and exploded while working on a job site, causing serious burns that were ultimately fatal. Suit was brought against the site operator and trucking company, resulting in a settlement in the amount of $2,250,000. After fees and expenses, the victim’s family recovered $1,176,495.
Confidential – Wrongful Death Suit Against Automobile Manufacturer
Wrongful death suit was brought against an automobile manufacturer for defective design and performance of a seatbelt during a rollover accident after a motor vehicle collision resulted in a fatality.
Confidential – Wrongful Death Suit Against Property Owner
Wrongful death suit against a property owner in a fatal shooting in a workplace.
$600,000 – Wrongful Death Claim Against Municipality
A police officer responding to the scene of a motor vehicle collision came upon the accident too quickly. As a result, he struck and killed a good Samaritan in the roadway helping the other accident victims. Our firm brought claims against the city and the underinsured motorist carrier on behalf of the victim’s family. The case was resolved for the statutory limits for municipal claims and the insurance policy limits applicable to the claim. The total settlement was in the amount of $600,000 and reflected the maximum amount recoverable for this tragedy. After fees, legal expenses and funeral expenses, the family recovered $ 392,457.66.
The amount of compensation our clients receive depends on the circumstances, and no two cases are alike.
However, as a matter of law, clients might receive money damages for the following:
- Funeral expenses
- The value of lost services, such as cooking, cleaning, and taking care of children
- The loss of an inheritance
- Loss of companionship, love, comfort, and society
- The pain and anguish experienced by grieving family members
- Punitive damages where applicable
Focus on Your Family and Let a Wrongful Death Attorney Handle the Rest
Wrongful death claims are complicated legal cases. Insurance companies are notoriously aggressive when defending Texas wrongful death lawsuits.
At the Francis Firm, our Southlake, TX wrongful death attorneys are compassionate advocates for our clients. If you lost a family member in a preventable accident, we are here to take care of all your legal needs so that you can focus on yourself and your loved ones. Your family deserves justice and maximum financial compensation.
Recent Verdicts & Settlements
With over twenty million dollars recovered for clients, you can trust our experience and proven track record to get you the maximum possible recovery.SEE RECENT VERDICTS & SETTLEMENTS
- $2,250,000: Wrongful Death
- $1,970,000: Vehicle Collision
- $1,250,000: Car Accident
- $1,050,000: Truck Collision
- $1,000,000: Truck Accident
- $900,000: Vehicle Collision
- $775,839: Commercial Litigation
- $600,000: Wrongful Death
- $565,000: Vehicle Collision
- $425,000: Product Liability
- $329,000: Commercial Litigation
- $206,545: Premises Liability
- $87,300: Arbitration Verdict