Texas Motorcycle and Bicycle Accident Lawyers
Have you or someone you love suffered a motorcycle injury? If so, you should contact an experienced Southlake, Texas motorcycle accident lawyer as soon as possible.
Let the attorneys at The Francis Firm help you understand your rights, get the medical care you need, and the compensation you deserve.
Texas law protects motorcyclists from negligent drivers. Before you obtain compensation for your accident injury, here are a few things you need to understand about Texas motorcycle law.
Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Texas
Despite laws enacted to protect Texas motorcyclists, motorcycle accidents caused by negligent motor vehicle drivers still occur. The failure to understand motorcycle laws leads to many of these collisions.
In addition, other motorists on the road exhibit the following negligent behaviors that contribute to the number of motorcycle accidents:
- Distracted driving. Distracted driving causes more than 3,000 deaths a year nationwide. Much distracted driving results from texting while driving, which is illegal in Texas.
- Failure to use rear-view mirrors. A motorcycle attempting to pass a car may go undetected if the motorist neglects to check rearview mirrors. The car driver should also check the blind spot before making a lane change. Similarly, car drivers should look for motorcycles before opening a car door in traffic.
- Failure to yield right of way. Just because a motor vehicle is bigger than a motorcycle, doesn’t mean the car has the right of way. Vehicles must yield to motorcycles when motorcycles have the right of way.
- Speeding. Driving too fast causes over 9,000 fatalities a year. Speeding creates unsafe driving conditions that are particularly hazardous to motorcycles.
- Following too closely behind a motorcycle. If a motorcycle brakes suddenly for whatever reason, a vehicle following too closely can rear-end the bike. Vehicles must allow enough distance for adequate time to stop.
- Driving aggressively or exhibiting road rage. Traffic causes tempers to rage and that anger can promote dangerous driving.
These negligent driving behaviors can lead to serious or even life-threatening injuries. Our firm understands motorcycle crashes, and our skilled Southlake, TX motorcycle accident lawyers will help you seek full compensation.
Types of Damages in a Personal Injury Claim
Texas is a comparative fault state for personal injury damages.
This means that if you were involved in a Texas motorcycle accident, the driver who caused the collision is responsible for paying damages.
If both drivers contributed to the accident, the driver with a greater contribution pays damages. If one driver was more than 50% at fault, that driver pays for a corresponding amount of your damages.
Personal injury law provides three types of damage awards after an accident:
These are actual financial losses suffered because of your accident. These damages include the cost of repairing or replacing your motorcycle, and reimbursement for medical expenses and lost wages.
These damages are intended to compensate you for pain and suffering, physical impairment and any scarring or physical disfigurement you experienced because of your accident.
A court sometimes awards punitive damages when a defendant’s behavior is particularly reckless. For instance, if you were involved in a collision caused by a texting or intoxicated driver, your attorney may be able to recover punitive damages.
Texas Law About Helmets and Motorcycle Accidents
Texas law requires motorcycle drivers and riders under 21 to wear a helmet when operating a motorcycle. Riders over 21 may ride without a helmet after completing a safety course or if they carry motorcycle-accident health insurance.
If you violate Texas helmet laws, it could affect your ability to pursue compensation for your accident injury.
An insurance company will argue that a motorcycle rider who didn't wear a helmet is responsible for head and neck injuries. In order to hold the other driver accountable for your injuries, you should consult an experienced Southlake, Texas motorcycle accident attorney.
How a Texas Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Helps You With Your Case
If you or someone you love is injured in a motorcycle accident, don’t risk handling the claim on your own.
Insurance companies use their professional resources and legal knowledge to fight your claim. These adjusters are claims professionals and their only goal is to minimize your claim.
They will use their knowledge, training and experience against you, particularly if you’ve never been involved in a personal injury claim before.
Do not let yourself be a victim twice.
You need an expert Southlake, TX motorcycle accident attorney who will protect your legal rights and pursue full compensation available under Texas law.
The trial lawyers at The Francis Firm have more than 30 years of personal injury experience litigating motorcycle collision cases. We provide the legal expertise and resources to fight insurance companies, get cases settled and, when necessary, pursue justice for you in the courtroom.
If you are injured in a motorcycle wreck, The Francis Firm can help. We have recovered millions for victims of traffic accidents.
We offer free personal injury consultations and work on a contingency fee basis. This means you will never owe us anything, including legal fees, until we recover money for you.
We are here to help you, and we understand that traveling is challenging when you’re injured. If you are unable to come to our Southlake office, we will come to you. Contact us today through our online form or call (817) 329-9001.
Our motorcycle accident lawyers proudly serve Southlake, Fort Worth, and other nearby communities in Texas.
Recent Verdicts & Settlements
With over twenty million dollars recovered for clients, you can trust our experience and proven track record to get you the maximum possible recovery.SEE RECENT VERDICTS & SETTLEMENTS
- $2,250,000: Wrongful Death
- $1,970,000: Vehicle Collision
- $1,250,000: Car Accident
- $1,050,000: Truck Collision
- $1,000,000: Truck Accident
- $900,000: Vehicle Collision
- $775,839: Commercial Litigation
- $600,000: Wrongful Death
- $565,000: Vehicle Collision
- $425,000: Product Liability
- $329,000: Commercial Litigation
- $206,545: Premises Liability
- $87,300: Arbitration Verdict