Motorcycle Accident Lawyers Serving Texas
If you ride in Texas, you know motorcycle accidents are common, and they can cause serious injuries. If you’ve been in a motorcycle accident, it is imperative that you protect your rights and explore your legal options.
Let the Texas motorcycle accident lawyers at The Francis Firm help you understand your rights, get the medical care you need, and the compensation you deserve. Texas law protects motorcyclists from negligent drivers. Before you obtain compensation for your accident injury, there are a few things you need to understand about Texas motorcycle law. If you have any questions or need immediate assistance, please call our motorcycle accident lawyers at (817) 329-9001 or submit the short form below.
What Causes Motorcycle Accidents in Texas?
Despite laws enacted to protect Texas motorcyclists, motorcycle accidents are caused by negligent motor vehicle drivers every day.
In some cases, crashes are caused by a lack of understanding of motorcycle laws; in others, they are caused by the negligence of other motorists. In addition, other motorists on the road exhibit the following negligent behaviors that contribute to the number of Texas motorcycle accidents
- Distracted driving. Distracted driving causes more than 3,000 deaths a year nationwide. Much distracted driving results from texting while driving, which is illegal in Texas; other reasons include eating or drinking, using electronics or headphones, or being distracted by others in the car.
- Failure to use rear-view mirrors. A motorcycle attempting to pass a car may go undetected if the motorist neglects to check their rearview mirrors. The driver of the car might also cause an accident if they neglect to check their blind spot before making a lane change or fail to look for motorcycles before opening a car door in traffic.
- Failure to yield right of way. Vehicles must yield to motorcycles when motorcycles have the right of way. When a car neglects to do so, a serious accident may result.
- Speeding. Driving too fast causes over 9,000 fatalities a year and can result in significant injuries, particularly on highways. Speeding creates unsafe driving conditions that are particularly hazardous to motorcycles, which may not be able to avoid impact.
- Following too closely behind a motorcycle. If a motorcycle brakes suddenly for whatever reason, a vehicle following too closely can rear-end the bike, causing injuries. Vehicles must allow enough distance for adequate time to stop; when they fail to do so, an accident may result.
- Driving aggressively or exhibiting road rage. Traffic causes tempers to rage, and that anger can promote dangerous driving. Reckless driving, or ignoring the laws of traffic, can also contribute to the cause of a motorcycle injury.
These negligent driving behaviors can lead to serious or even life-threatening injuries. Some examples of common motorcycle accident injuries include head injuries, concussions, and even traumatic brain injuries, along with sometimes serious damage to internal organs. Cuts, abrasions, fractures, and road rash are all common. Back, neck, and spinal injuries can occur — and in some cases, they can lead to serious complications. Our firm understands motorcycle crashes, and our skilled motorcycle accident lawyers out of Southlake Texas serving Dallas and Fort Worth will help you seek full compensation.
What is the Process of Recovering From a Motorcycle Accident?
If you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident, it is imperative that you first seek and obtain the medical care and treatment you need to get better. Our experienced motorcycle injury lawyers can help with that, as well as with the process of recovering from your injuries.
Generally, the process begins with the filing of a claim, usually for negligence. This means you will need to prove liability, meaning the other party’s responsibility for the accident, as well as your damages. Motorcycle accident cases can be complex, and having knowledgeable lawyers by your side is imperative, particularly as the case may involve multiple parties and insurance companies.
Texas is a comparative fault state for personal injury damages. This means that if you were involved in a Texas motorcycle accident, the driver who caused the collision is responsible for paying damages. If both drivers contributed to the accident, the driver with a greater contribution pays damages. If one driver was more than 50% at fault, that driver pays for a corresponding amount of your damages.
Texas Personal injury law provides three types of damage awards after an accident involving personal injury :
These are the actual financial losses suffered because of your accident. These damages include the cost of repairing or replacing your motorcycle and reimbursement for medical expenses and lost wages.
These are the damages intended to compensate you for pain and suffering, physical impairment, any scarring or physical disfigurement you experienced because of your accident, as well as the general decline in your quality of life.
A court sometimes awards punitive damages when a defendant’s behavior is particularly reckless. For instance, if you were involved in a collision caused by a texting or intoxicated driver, your lawyers may be able to recover punitive damages.
What Is the Texas Motorcycle Helmets Law?
Texas helmet law requires motorcycle drivers and riders under 21 to wear a helmet when operating a motorcycle. Riders over 21 may ride without a helmet after completing a safety course or if they carry motorcycle-accident health insurance.
You should also note that if you violate Texas helmet laws, it could affect your ability to pursue compensation for your accident injury, as the insurance company will argue that a motorcycle rider who didn't wear a helmet is responsible for head and neck injuries.
In order to hold the other driver accountable for your injuries, you should consult the experienced motorcycle accident lawyers of The Francis Firm.
How Can Our Texas Motorcycle Accident Lawyers Help You With Your Case?
Call the lawyers who have been serving Texas for over 30 years. The Francis Firm. Insurance companies use their professional resources and legal knowledge to fight your claim. These adjusters are claims professionals and their only goal is to minimize your claim. They will use their knowledge, training, and experience against you, particularly if you’ve never been involved in a personal injury claim before. You need expert Texas motorcycle accident lawyers who will protect your legal rights and pursue full compensation available under Texas law. Lawyers like the Francis Firm who will fight for the compensation you deserve.
Do not let yourself be a victim a second time
You need expert Texas motorcycle accident lawyers who will protect your legal rights and pursue full compensation available under Texas law. The trial lawyers at The Francis Firm have more than 30 years of personal injury experience litigating motorcycle collision cases. We provide the legal expertise and resources to fight insurance companies, get cases settled and, when necessary, pursue justice for you in the courtroom.
If you are injured in a motorcycle wreck, The Francis Firm can help. We have recovered millions for victims of traffic accidents. We offer free personal injury consultations and work on a contingency fee basis. This means you will never owe us anything, including legal fees, until we recover money for you.
We are here to help you, and we understand that traveling is challenging when you’re injured. If you are unable to come to our Southlake office, we will come to you. Contact us today through our online form or call (817) 329-9001. If you or someone you love suffers a personal injury in Texas, call us now! You don’t have to fight this battle alone. Please reach out to us online or call us at (817) 329-9001 today for a free, no-obligation consultation. With our office in Southlake, we serve communities throughout the Dallas – Fort Worth area, Tarrant County and Dallas County and other counties of Texas.
Recent Verdicts & Settlements
With over twenty million dollars recovered for clients, you can trust our experience and proven track record to get you the maximum possible recovery.SEE RECENT VERDICTS & SETTLEMENTS
- $2,250,000: Wrongful Death
- $1,970,000: Vehicle Collision
- $1,250,000: Car Accident
- $1,050,000: Truck Collision
- $1,000,000: Truck Accident
- $900,000: Vehicle Collision
- $775,839: Commercial Litigation
- $600,000: Wrongful Death
- $565,000: Vehicle Collision
- $425,000: Product Liability
- $329,000: Commercial Litigation
- $206,545: Premises Liability
- $87,300: Arbitration Verdict