Southlake Motorcycle Injury Lawyer With a Track Record of Success
Have you or someone you love suffered injuries in a motorcycle accident in Southlake? If so, an experienced Southlake motorcycle accident lawyer can help you recover compensation for your damages, including medical bills and lost wages.
Motorcycle accidents aren't uncommon in Texas. On average, one motorcyclist dies and five motorcyclists are seriously injured on Texas roads every day. Texas law protects motorcyclists from negligent drivers, but protective laws and safety guidelines do not always prevent serious accidents and injuries.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a motorcycle accident in Southlake, here are a few things you need to understand about Texas motorcycle law and hiring a lawyer.
What are Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Southlake, TX?
Despite laws enacted to protect Southlake, Texas motorcyclists, thousands of motorcycle accidents occur every year. When motorcycle accidents are caused by the recklessness or negligence of other people, victims are entitled to compensation.
Many drivers exhibit negligent behaviors that put motorcyclists at risk or fail to follow safety laws that protect motorcyclists. Here are some of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents:
- Distracted driving. Distracted driving causes more than 3,000 deaths a year nationwide. The use of cell phones and mobile devices is a common cause of distracted driving, which is why texting and driving is prohibited in Southlake and throughout Texas.
- Failure to use rear-view mirrors. Drivers must look for motorcyclists using their rear-view mirrors and check their blind spots before making lane changes. Many drivers fail to use mirrors to look for motorcyclists while driving, or before opening a car door in traffic.
- Failure to yield. All vehicles need to share the road equally. Vehicles must yield to motorcycles when motorcycles have the right of way.
- Speeding. Disobeying the speed limit creates unsafe driving conditions on highways in and around Southlake that are especially hazardous for motorcycles.
- Following too closely. If a motorcycle brakes suddenly for whatever reason, a vehicle following too closely can rear-end the bike. Even small impacts can be devastating for motorcyclists, so all vehicles need to maintain safe distances from each other.
These negligent driving behaviors can lead to serious or even life-threatening injuries. A motorcycle accident lawyer from The Francis Firm will help you seek full compensation in Southlake. We understand motorcycle crash cases in Southlake County and the state of Texas.
What if I'm Partially at Fault for My Southlake Motorcycle Accident?
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, and your attorney cannot reach an insurance settlement, you may need to file a personal injury lawsuit. When filing a personal injury lawsuit for motorcycle and other vehicle accidents, Texas is a “comparative fault” state.
However, Texas uses a modified version of comparative fault, in which the plaintiff cannot recover damages if they were more than 50 percent responsible for the accident. This means that if you were involved in a Texas motorcycle accident, the driver who caused the collision is responsible for paying damages. However, if both drivers are at fault, each may be responsible for a percentage of the damages.
For example, if one vehicle ran a red light and crashed into another, the negligent driver would be at fault and have to pay damages. However, if the second vehicle were speeding and the accident was more severe than it might otherwise have been, the speeding driver may be held responsible for a portion of the damages. A judge may find that the driver who ran the red light was 80 percent responsible, while the speeding driver was 20 percent responsible. An experienced lawyer can help navigate this process.
Comparative fault is especially important for Texas motorcyclists because of Texas' helmet requirements. A motorcyclist who is injured in an accident, but was not wearing a helmet, may be held liable for a portion of the damages, even if the accident was not their fault.
Do I Have to Wear a Helmet in Texas?
Texas law requires riders under 21 to wear a helmet whether they are riding or operating a motorcycle. Riders 21 years of age and older are not required to wear one if they have certification through a motorcycle operator training course through the Department of Motor Vehicles or demonstrate that they have sufficient health insurance in the event of a motorcycle crash.
What are the Types of Possible Recovery After a Southlake Motorcycle Accident?
Under personal injury law, there are three different types of damages a motorcycle victim may be compensated for:
- Economic damages. Economic damages are actual financial costs and losses due to the accident. They may include the cost of motorcycle repair or replacement, the cost of medical expenses or treatment, or the cost of lost wages due to injury.
- Non-economic damages. Non-economic damages compensate victims for losses that are more difficult to measure. They may include compensation for pain and suffering, physical scarring and disfigurement, and other damages.
- Punitive damages. When an accident is caused by particularly reckless or negligent behavior, such as driving under the influence, a court may award extra damages intended to punish that behavior and deter future instances.
How can a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Southlake Help You With Your Case?
If you or someone you love is injured in a motorcycle accident in Southlake, Texas, it's important to consult with a qualified motorcycle accident lawyer right away. An insurance company may attempt to pressure you into a quick settlement that doesn't cover all your damages. You need professional legal advice, whether you are negotiating with an insurance company, or pursuing a personal injury claim.
Insurance companies use their professional resources and legal knowledge to fight your claim and pay as little restitution as possible. They will use their knowledge, training, and experience to minimize your claim, especially if you've never been involved in a personal injury case before, and they may pressure you into signing away your legal right to sue. You need a motorcycle accident lawyer in Southlake who will help you get the medical care you need and protect your legal rights and pursue full compensation available under Texas law.
The field of personal injury law is vast, and it encompasses many different types of cases. Some of the practice areas in which a Francis Firm lawyer can help:
- Car accidents. These often occur due to the negligence or carelessness of other drivers, resulting in damages to the victim.
- Truck accidents. These involve a commercial vehicle and can cause serious, sometimes catastrophic injuries.
- Wrongful death claims. We help hold parties responsible for causing the negligent or wrongful death of a loved one.
- Brain injuries. When someone suffers a blow to the head, it can seriously affect the victim’s quality of life.
- Construction accidents. Whether you were injured at work or as a visitor or passerby to a construction site.
- Product liability claims. This involves defective or dangerous products or the lack of warnings about those products.
- Premises liability claims. These occur when the victim is injured on the property of another, whether someone else’s home or a business.
Why Choose The Francis Firm as Your Motorcycle Accident Lawyer?
The expert personal injury lawyers at The Francis Firm have more than 30 years of experience litigating Texas motorcycle accident cases. We provide the legal expertise and resources to fight insurance companies, get cases settled and, when necessary, pursue justice for you in the courtroom. We have recovered millions for victims of traffic accidents, and we will fight for your rights.
Hiring an experienced and knowledgeable Southlake motorcycle accident attorney can make all the difference: They will not only help you build a stronger case based on the evidence but also advocate on your behalf during settlement negotiations and in court if needed. Reach out to a personal injury lawyer.
If you or someone you love suffered an injury in a Southlake motorcycle accident, contact a personal injury lawyer at the Francis Firm as soon as possible. We offer a free consultation and work on a contingency fee basis. This means you will never owe us anything — including legal fees — until we recover money for your claim. Our motorcycle accident lawyers proudly serve other nearby communities in Texas. Contact us today through our online form or call (817) 329-9001.
410 S Nolen Dr
Southlake, TX 76092